www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diesel 50th ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart GB145

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Diesel 50th ? Reply with quote

My mate is adiment that a diesel 50th anniversarry was produced. I have bet him a fiver there was't BUT have a look at this www.dieselcentre.com
It has a TD5 ? That engine wasn't about in 98 was it ?
BLUETHUNDER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel 50th ? Reply with quote

Stuart GB145 wrote:
My mate is adiment that a diesel 50th anniversarry was produced. I have bet him a fiver there was't BUT have a look at this www.dieselcentre.com
It has a TD5 ? That engine wasn't about in 98 was it ?

I think they were just being introduced in to the Series 2 Discovery that year.
Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Ferret Mk 2/3
1942 Ford Jeep

Former owner of the bastard 50th.(Always loved)
Simon Whitaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it is an after market conversion - some one whipped out the V8 auto and put in the Td5 with manual box. Like the odd 50th's that are around with a manual conversion ! - or being LHD they made some diesel ones for export - suspect James will have the answer Laughing

Simon

50th #149 - G8 MUD
Series 1 rag top - 1958
Rebel Replica Series 1
Discovery Sport HSE
Freelander Mk1 3 door
Ads90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm looking at the wrong one - it's on a 2000 V plate, no plaque, no V8, no auto, wrong steering wheel, wrong side-steps, wrong air-con unit, it's had a re-spray (no decals anywhere) and oddly, it's got a heritage speedo(?) - so it's just a 50th look-alike-ish?
Mis-representation, if you ask me! Rolling Eyes
romadog2004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a genuine 50th which was for foreign climes and like the CSK some hung around the showrooms longer than others.
Td5 ...poss foreign option or was it built specially for a customer??
Aircon....old style, maybe it was fitted later, or was what was in sellers stock at time??
No. of rivets??.....sorry I lost count !! Very Happy
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure on this one, might be, might not........................... Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andyb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Diesel Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Stuarts mate who is going to win the Fiver !

My father in-law who lives in South Africa said that over there the 50th was a diesel station wagon. I have asked him twice to make sure and yes he said there was. His friend owned one, also my wife has been in it. Since trying to prove to Stuart that there was a diesel I have found out that there was also a diesel hard top 50th made, but haven't seen any pictures yet.

Still trying to find more proof !
Widget

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why's it a lefty if its an SA spec car?

The Doosel van anniversary was a 300Tdi, not so much special edition, more slightly different in an obscure sort of way...

To me it just looks queer. A lot like either a Euro spec Anniversary or a look-a-likey. Everything points to Euro spec (side steps, except the wheels. But then again its had chequerplate added at some point.

The A/C is not original Td5, apart from the different look of the dash casette, the radiator grille is not projected forward as Td5 factory units are.

Weird, but I wouldn't spend that fiver yet... Laughing
Building NAS style V8
andyb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: More Proof Reply with quote

This is a email I received from a guy who use to own a South African 50th.

Dear Andy
I am responding to your message in the April edition of the Landrover Owners Club Southern Africa newsletter.I owned a South African 50th Defender so the details here are according to my best knowledge:
Landrovers were being built at the Rosslyn,Pretoria,plant at that time and the Special Vehicles built only 50 Limited Edition Defenders of which 26 were 90s and 24 were 110s randomely numbered 1 to 50.Mine was number 26 of 50 and it was a Defender 90.
The 90s were powered by a BMW M52 petrol motor (2.8i) and the 110s by a 2.5l tdi motor.Both were distinguishable from other Defenders by their distinctive exterior trim including colour coded wheel arch mouldings,spot lamps and sparewheel cover with the 50th logo on it.
The 90 was painted in Santorini blue(a BMW colour)with a stainless steel front bumper,A-frame bullbar,and stainless steel side runners.The interior trim was black leather,leather covered steering wheel and gearknob.Each seat,including 4 rear seats had the 50th anniversary logo embossed on them.The rear L-R badge contained the 50th logo and the vehicles number.Asimilar badge was fixed to the left side of the facia dashboard.A Coleman thermo-electric cooler/heater was placed behind the front seats secured with a small cargo net.For this purpose a dual battery with splitcharger was fitted.I believe that the 90 was dubbed"'Sport"'so I suppose it was necessary to have cold beers on hand!And plenty of acceleration and speed hence the 2.8i motor.I managed 160 kmh and was reluctant to push it further.
The 110 which I do not know so much about was apparantly dubbed 'Safari''.It was painted a limestone colour with green mouldings.It was fitted with a roofrack,a rooftop tent,a stepladder and a wraparound bullbar.It was also fitted with a GPS which was not so common in those days.
Soon after acquiring my 50th I set about spotting the others.I recorded seeing numbers
2 a 90,43 a110,44 a 90,37 a 110,12 a 90,46 a 90,11 a 110,22 a 90,I seldom see any of them these days.Mine was featured in Landrover Owner International magazine March1999 edition page 29 under Readers Rovers.I sold it last year along with my original (but rebuilt )1959 Series 2 shortwheel base,sold as a Collectors Pair.My daily transport is now a Defender 110 Kalahari, a 2006 model built at The Home of The Legend(Solihull)in 2005.It is a basic Defender with no extras fitted powered by the trusted 300 2.5l tdi motor and of course I enjoy it thoroughly!

I think that the fiver is mine ! Stuart ! As I'm not lucky enough to own one what are the differences between them ?

AndyB
Ads90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there was a 50th diesel - but not the one in the advert... I still think that ones a Heinz 57.

The BMW engined SA one rings a bell now - i might have read that copy of LRO back in '99. A straight 6 I think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: