www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from New member
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmac911

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Hello from New member Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I wish to introduce myself as a new member and proud new owner of GB040. My name is Craig McKinnon and I live in Sunny Laughing Basingstoke Hampshire. I have been looking on this site for some time now and it has been really useful in giving me tips and things to look for whilst searching for a 50th. I tracked down David Cottinghams vehicle from the link posted on here and collected GB040 yesterday. David is a really nice chap and has done a great job of maintaining the car so its a good platform for some gradual tlc and upgrades. My first job is to remove the 80L internal LPG tank and replace it with under-floor twin tanks. I have seen 50ths with this arrangement and i know that the floor will need mods to accomodate. Next will be some minor exhaust mods for a bit more rumble and later on some engine upgrades, headers and perhaps a stainless complete exhaust. One thing I need to locate is a pair of rear seats as 2 were removed to fit the internal tank! Anyone tripping over some? great site. Very Happy
eltmiester

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Craig,
I'am sure you will enjoy your ownership and this forum.
Best Wishes.
Paul.
craigmac911

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. Already enjoying the vehicle Very Happy Great fun.
defender50th
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum Smile

Your have to pop over for a cuppa one day, I'm only 30 mins from Bstoke Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to be a real cluster of 50th's in Hampshire !
Now there's an idea, a geographical map of where all the 50th's live Very Happy
craigmac911

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James. Thanks for the welcome and invite. That would be great so long as you could put up with me picking your brains! Smile I am slowly getting used to the little peculiarities of the car, the rattles and shakes Smile all great fun. By the way this is a great forum. I have been looking through many of the threads, especially those regarding LPG and exhausts as these are my first priority, and its obvious that there are a lot of knowledgeable and enthusiastic owners on here, and all keen to help one another. How refreshing Smile
griffman500

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Allfrey can sort you with LPG tanks for your chassis and a service etc - he has been doing LPG since 1975 and is only over the border from you in west sussex

www.derekallfreylandrovers.com

Bear in mind his website is designed to appeal to yanks with loads of money, for whom he does bespoke builds, but don't let that put you off - he is a great guy and looks after loads of 50ths.
craigmac911

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thats great. Thanks for the lead I will give them a call. I am awaiting a quote from a small local UKLPG certified installer but they havent filled me with confidence to be honest. I can do the battery box mods myself and am in the process of looking for an appropriate spec and size battery. I have seen some dry cell ones made by Odyssey which may do the job. Any pointers as to what some of the other guys have used? cheers, Craig
griffman500

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig - don't be going buying oddysey batteries - they are good but you can get as good for much less - Derek gets hold of some sort of tractor battery for his clients and it is fantastic - he fitted one in mine - over 1000 amps of cranking power, which I need for my 6.3 litre engine, and less than 100 pounds(five year guarantee I think!)

Talk to him
craigmac911

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thank you for the advice. I will talk to Derek. cheers, craig.
craigmac911

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victor just a breif note to thank you for the nod in Dereks direction. I trundled down to see him today and we have agreed an outline spec for the mods to be done. Just waiting for the quote. He is definately the Land Rover man as you say. What he doesnt know about them would not be worth knowing:!: Ill let you know how it goes. Very Happy Cheers Craig
griffman500

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - he loves working on 50ths too - he looks after number 5 and a few others.
craigmac911

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB040 now down at Derek Alffreys for phase 1 improvents. This entails removal of the 80L internal LPG tank and also the rear mounted fuel tank. Then installation of a new 50L LPG tank sited where the fuel tank was and a new petrol tank under the drivers seat in the original 90 location. I have just been suffering a few occasional problems with the LPG not switching in but Derek says its the regulator, which is the 1999 original BRC one and will be replaced by a new OMVL one. One other oddity is that the tachometer often sits at 500RPM after starting up but usually begins to work properly after a few minutes. Sometimes though not at all Sad
Should get my baby back next week. Very Happy
MikeB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had a period of being stuck at 500rpm and after a few minutes would then be ok. It turned out to be the serpentine belt not on right and passing over the top of the alternator pulley instead of round it. Under load (charging the battery after starting) the belt slipped and the alternator wasn't going as fast as it should. Put the belt on the correct way and all was fine. I was surprised it was possible to route the belt incorrectly in the first place.

Cheers,
Mike.
griffman500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig

saw your car at Dereks - a tidy example of it's type.

When you are going to collect her let me know and I will make sure the big green beast is there for you to have a look at

Regards

Victor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: