www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60k Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chimbwe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: 60k Service Reply with quote

My 50th is coming up on a 60k mile service. Could anyone tell me if anything is required on top of the standard service or does anyone have a service list they could let me have a copy of?

Many thanks
Captainbeaky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you would have covered most of the major items on a time basis, rather than pure mileage.

On such a low annual mileage, you really need to think pragmatically about the mileage versus age, and look at when the parts were changed last. Some inspections are best brought forward to avoid problems ( the long life spark plugs are a favourite - the longer intervals could mean that the plugs are rusted into the head nicely by the time comes to change them...)

You'd be surprised how many people think that because their 1960's Rolls-Royce only needs an oil change every 6,000 miles, they don't need to get the car serviced for 3 years, as they only do 2,000 miles a year. Such cars are usually in quite a poor mechanical state with multiple lack-of-maintenance faults when they do eventually find their way to me.

From memory, ( although I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) in addition to the usual 6000 mile / annual oil and filter changes,
60k brings up a few 30k items, like spark plug change, diff and transfer box oils.

But given the age, if they haven't already been changed, then swivel oils and power steering oil would be cheap and prudent.

It is probably worth changing the ATF if it hasn't already been done - the original RRC uses the same transmission as the 50th ( the ZF4HP22) and it is often overlooked at service ( but is reccomended at 24k) by changing the ATF regularly, and you will avoid trans problems. Mines at 140k with a stage 3 tuned 4.6, and still going strong.

Like the diffs, swivels and transfer box, pas fluids and brake fluids are often missed on low mileage cars - because they have done so little mileage since the last service, but it's definitely worth getting the lot changed, oil is cheap in comparison to a diff or a transmission. Ditto the coolant - it settles out, and degrades with time, and is often missed at service.

Use a bit of common, and check what's been done, and fill in any gaps. If a particular fluid hasn't been changed by now, then it's most definitely due!

And if you do stumble into a service schedule, drop it up on here for all of us!

Thanks,

Mike.
Chimbwe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Many thanks for the response, that all makes perfect sense

Cheers

Simon
maver1ck

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've got an original Land Rover maintenance check sheet for the Defender 50th.
If you pm me with your email address I'll send to you as an attachment.
Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: