www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp Gauge problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Temp Gauge problem Reply with quote

Intermittently my temp gauge goes all the way to the right when I start up and sometimes when I'm driving, if I give the glass a few taps it returns to normal and the engine is not over heating. Any ideas?
V8GPC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a loose connection. The signal is all based on resistance, only a slight increase would change the range. I'm remembering ohms law from school.

If the gauge is the same as the TD5 then its normal spades (although inside a plug); should be a matter of removing, cleaning up the terminals on the gauge with some emery paper followed by a squeeze of the female spade inside the plug. (you can tease them out they are relatively big and loose, by pushing the retaining prong with a small screw driver while giving a little tug)

The tapping of the gauge suggests something is loose; rather than it being the engine end.

If it turns out to be more internal; does anyone know of the TD5 gauge is the same? Plenty on eBay.

If nobody knows; I have a TD5 gauge somewhere; so could easily warm my V8 and then swap over gauges and check to see if the needle points to the same place for you.

Let me know.
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that comprehensive reply, I'll pull the dash out tomorrow and try what you have suggested and see if that makes a difference.

I have had a look on Microcat and can't really tell if the TD5 one is the same as the v8 one, the only reference I can find to V8 is AMR2631 but the description states

Microcat wrote:
GAUGE-TEMPERATURE, 12V, LESS EFI, PETROL V8 L/R

So not sure if that is the correct one.

AMR2631 also seems to be the one for the 4cyl version of the same chassis range.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.
Romadog2004

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMR5722 is correct part number

http://new.lrcat.com/#!/1228/10541/12087/948/12136
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Romadog2004, just realised there is a different section on Microcat for the 4.0L V8 EFI PETROL, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: