www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key stuck in ignition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Key stuck in ignition Reply with quote

I have a problem that seems to be getting worse, when I park up and put the g/box into park, sometimes I can't get the key out of the ignition. I'm guessing because the car thinks it's not in park, normally by moving the gear lever back and forward it will eventually come out but it's getting more frequent now. Any ideas on the cause of this, is there a switch on the gearlever that needs adjusting or could it be underneath the car?
Cranemaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Ignition Lock Reply with quote

The ignition lock has no electrical 'latch' to secure the key; gear selector position is irelevent unless the key is turned into the biased 'start' position, where the gearbox swich enables the start solenoid only in Park and Neutral.
Have a look on t'internet for Yale lock internals and you'll see how the key works in the lock cylinder, utiliseing pins and springs.
If the key won't come out, there's probably a pin sticking, try some dry lubrication down the key hole maybe.
tyke57nz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe Japanese spec are different
Hairy Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I probably should have mentioned in the original post that mines a Japanese import, I didn't realise there would be a difference. It appears that the Japanese models have a solenoid on the shifter that prevents you removing the key unless it's in park and from reading the workshop manual it would appear that there is also a solenoid on the transfer box to stop the key being removed unless either high or low in engaged. I haven't managed to get a look at it yet due to the snow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: