www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index www.Defender50th.co.uk
The Defender 50th Owners Club and Vehicle Register

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spluttering and cutting out!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Spluttering and cutting out!! Reply with quote

I've had issues over the last couple of weeks with the engine starting from cold no problem, then after 5-10 mins driving, starting to splutter and in some cases cutting out - restarting is then erratic. As the 50th is automatic this is difficult to control and clearly dangerous when I'm on the road!

I thought it could be damp related, have done the usual checks and sprayed WD40/silicon spray about and all is good from cold until the engine warms up. I had a new air filter and plugs as of March last year. Before I go buying a new set of Magnecor leads (current silicon leads are 2015) which it seems others have recommended for similar issues, is there anything anyone here could suggest to check? Last tank or two have been E10 fuel, could that be an issue?

Thanks for any suggestions, Simon
romanrob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been a while since I've had to go through the GEMS engine management on my P38, but I'd start with the easiest - i. clean the MAF sensor on the air intake with contact cleaner or a carb cleaner (there's a tiny wire inside, which you probably won't see, but it may be become dirty) ii. clean the IACV and ideally then reset the adaptive values on the ECM so it can relearn the settings. For that you need someone with a nanocom and a P38/ v8 set up... or some other box of tricks to do it for you. I say ideally, you might get away without doing it. Once you have tracked down said nanocom or other OBD2 device you can also take a look at the rest of the system, including proper functioning of your 02 sensors.
some Laser lights for the spark plugs https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/2780/HT-Lead-Ignition-Spark-Tester will show up any misfiring cylinders/ leads/ HT pack and of course you can remove/ replace the plugs and leads at your leisure - but until you know that's the issue then it's a waste of money IMHO.
Then you can run a pressure check on the fuel rail by attaching to the schrader valve, and if necessary remove the injectors and have them properly cleaned (this last was what cleared my problems after having gone though all the previous stuff).

Google GEMS by Poole Morgan - it's a very good document - but for V8 GEMS in a Morgan

I'm close if you wanted to swing by and we can see if the nano shows anything up & reset the adaptive values

GB065 - since 2002
Currently on my 2nd 50th RR V8 GEMS
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS

Formerly a 50th RR, 200TDi CSW, and a SIII 2.25 Petrol
SLT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob, much appreciated.

I've been through various steps, I originally changed the plugs for NGK BP6ES having spoken to Ian at RPI (very helpful), also changed the HT leads for Magnecor. This did make for smoother idling and I'm sure it generally seemed smoother, but problem still occurred once engine had warmed up.

I then cleaned the MAF sensor which helped idle and after a couple of short drives the issue seems to have resolved itself. Not sure if it's coincidence or the fact the weather's warmer!! Either way all has been ok for last few weeks and half a dozen journeys without incident.

I did buy a cheap OBD2 reader and the temp/O2 readings seem to be as expected as far as I can tell. The reader showed no faults per se, but not sure what it reads...

Anyway, thanks for the offer re checking with a nano, I may take you up on that if issues reappear.

Cheers,

Simon
romanrob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good news. After the reset of adaptive values you will need to do 50-100 miles on a full tank for the ECM to re-learn.. After that, if it's still working ok, then you should be good

GB065 - since 2002
Currently on my 2nd 50th RR V8 GEMS
Nanocom unlocked for GEMS

Formerly a 50th RR, 200TDi CSW, and a SIII 2.25 Petrol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.Defender50th.co.uk Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: